Monday, September 10, 2007

Hemming Jeans and Creating Quilts For The American Girl

Well, I cannot begin to go on about how much fun I had hemming my kids' pants this weekend. See the link I found about hemming jeans like a pro. I really do feel like a pro. My girls went to school this morning looking like I spent a fortune altering their pants. Please try it. I feel like a fool for ever even thinking about paying someone to hem their jeans!! After the seventh pair of pants, my eight-year-old picked up all the denim scraps off of the floor and proceeded to explain how the bits of denim mixed up and then sewn together would make perfect little 'casual' quilts for the American Girl Dolls we have living with us. Hmmm.....anything to put a smile on a sweet little face. We spent most of Sunday afternoon creating miniature denim patchwork for our dolls in residence, Felicity and Emily. Then, when I was all finished, the kids decided the quilts should be monogrammed so they would know whose quilt was who's, and then kicked up a notch by selecting patches to be ironed on. Pictures will be posted soon. These were actually the second set of quilts made for Felicty and Emily and I am getting quite good at it. I can crank one out in about an hour. My kids help by choosing, sorting and handing me the fabric and they even press the pedal once in a while. My creation for the weekend--plenty of beautifully tailored kids clothes and doll blankets. P.S. All MUST praise Dacia Ray for sharing her know-how on the jeans. Thank you!!!

No comments: